The consequences of COVID-19: what to do to recover lung function

The consequences of COVID-19: what to do to recover lung function
Опубликовано: Tuesday, 04 October 2022 15:55

According to clinical statistics, an estimated 70% of patients who have had COVID-19 experience a normal course of infection and do not need to be rehabilitated. For the remaining 30% of patients, there are some kind of complications.

Severe bilateral pneumonia leads to hypoxic conditions in the lungs and brain. This presents the challenge of serious recovery therapy after a coronavirus infection.

In the article, a hirudotherapist, medical biotechnologist, candidate of medical sciences Dimitrov Andrey Nikolayevich explains exactly why it is essential to go through comprehensive lung rehabilitation after COVID-19.

The most common consequences of the disease are:

- prolonged body weakness;

- decreased performance and quality of life;

- shortness of breath and respiratory impairment;

- mental disorders such as anxiety and nervousness;

- muscle aches and pains;

- connective tissue overgrowth in the lung structures.  

First of all, complications affect the lung tissue. As the lungs provide the body with oxygen, and due to the impaired basic function of the pulmonary alveoli, all the organs are unable to receive enough O2. There is also damage to the blood-clotting system, resulting in an increased risk of vascular thrombosis.

Explanation of the need for rehabilitation

It is important to receive proper rehabilitation for the recovery of the functional state of the organs after an infection. Measures carried out appropriately will not only restore lung tissue, but also the patient's quality of life.

It is possible to carry out the procedures:

- independently at home;

- at the hospital, when the patient has recovered from the severe period;

- in a sanatorium under the supervision of a rehabilitation therapist.

Preferably, all three types should be combined and complement each other. As a result, the lungs will recover more quickly from the illness.  

About the process of rehabilitation

In order to reduce the risk of serious complications and mitigate the effects of hypoxia, rehabilitation must be started while the disease is still in its severe phase. Once the inflammatory process becomes less severe, it is advisable to do respiratory exercises.

These exercises do not need to be challenging, however, it is essential that they improve the gas exchange in the tissues and prevent congestion. In addition, it is recommended that the patient takes an elevated body position during this time.

As the condition improves, you can start to gradually move around the flat, sitting more often and using simple ballooning exercises to train your lungs.

Then, the rehabilitation program will gradually include vibratory massage, helping to improve oxygenation in the lungs and normalize blood circulation and expectoration.

As soon as the main symptoms of COVID-19 have passed, it is essential to add some physical activity: an hour's walk in the fresh air, therapeutic exercise and a high-protein and fibre-rich diet.

Recovery will be considerably accelerated by a stay in a salt room or in the sea air. Resting at the sea for two to three weeks will make the lungs almost completely recover from a coronavirus infection.  

Most importantly, regular exercise, a normalized daily routine, a proper diet and a walk in the fresh air are essential. At this pace, the body will regain its basic functions more quickly.

Correspondent of “Newsblogging" Make Tviter